Penang Heritage Trust Site visit to The York House at 121 Halaman York
Date/Time: 3.00pm onwards (different sessions), Sunday, 2 August, 2015
The architect of York House, J.C. Miller was trained at the Glasgow School of Art, which was at the forefront of the Scottish Arts and Crafts movement. The 1930s in Malaya was a period of boom and busts, witnessing a rapid transition of architectural fashions. According to Dr Jon Lim, The York House, designed in 1936, was probably the last great mansion built by a European architect before the war. Neo-Georgian, Indian Art Deco and South African influences can be observed. It was regarded by Miller’s colleague as “internally the best finished house in Penang” of the late 1930s.
Site visits 3.00pm, 3.30pm, 4.00pm, 4.30pm, 5.00pm
Each visit will last about 45 minutes followed by light refreshments. Limited to 20 pax per group. Book in advance through firstname.lastname@example.org but meet at the site (click here for Google Maps page to the venue).
Visitors should remove their shoes before entering the house.
Donation to Penang Heritage Trust
PHT member RM 15
Non-PHT member RM 50
Discounted rate for non-PHT member, brought by PHT member, RM 30 (limited to 2 pax per member)
Discounted rate for non-PHT member also attending 1 August talk, RM 30
This Penang Heritage Trust site visit will be led by architectural historian Dr Jon Lim, who is giving a talk on Saturday August 1 on “Five Architects, Five Houses”.
We urge those interested in the site visit to attend the talk to get a fuller background of the architect and his architecture, and get a discounted rate for the site visit.
The house is now the premises of The Learning Garden, which has kindly allowed the Penang Heritage Trust to hold this site visit.